What does your work wardrobe look like? Are you someone who steers clear of formidable stripes or vibrant graphic prints because they don’t synchronise with quintessential corporate dressing.
Well, what if we told you that bold prints could fit into a professional wardrobe with ease? In fact, they are a great way to give an edge to power dressing. Let’s run through how you can totally rock all that boldness with an air of a bonafide expert.
Animal print is one of the top trends world over, and wearing this print won’t hurt anyone, not even to work. Work the style by wearing a single statement print, keeping the rest of your look simple.
- If you are wearing a leopard print mini dress, ensure that you balance it out with a pair of neutral-hued footwear.
- Accessorise with a belt cinched at the waist and a matching bag.
- An animal print top teamed with a pair of black or brown tailored trousers, or an A-line or pencil skirt would lend an edge too.
Checked trousers can be a great addition to your power dressing.
- A well-fitted pair teamed with a simple solid coloured pussy-bow blouse or top will make you look impeccably put together for the next business meeting.
- Add on a pair of neutral pumps, or ballet flats.
Florals look pretty, but oversized florals look glorious, and that’s why nothing should stop you from showing up at work to herald the ‘flower power’.
- Underplay large flowers by layering it with a neutral coloured blazer or cardigan.
- You could also work a floral cardigan or blazer over a single palette dress or pants.
- Avoid layering print on print; the idea is to keep it uncomplicated and clutter-free.
- Opting for a solid colour palette helps to blend in with the intimidating play of the print.
Geometric designs are usually intricate. It can get a bit tricky to wear it to work, but it can be worked out with ease if you follow this rule of thumb.
- If you pick a pattern and place it against a backdrop, it dilutes the intensity of that print, so if you choose this print, look for a single element in it that can be used as the background and help in ruling out the daring print and making it office-worthy.
A print that is both breezy and fun in its approach can make you feel a bit iffy to wear it in an urban office setting. But worry not! You can lend a formal character to this print.
- If you are wearing a midi/mini tropical printed skirt, throw in a button-down shirt to go with it and a pair of neutral pumps.
- Wearing a dress or a blouse in this print, play around with pastel, neutral or monochromatic separates. You will be surprised by the results.
Are you a lover of everyday objects or a fan of whimsical prints? You would love the fact that with a bit of careful consideration you can, after all, wear it to work.
- Wear a novelty print top with a pair of black wide-legged pants and mellow it down with a structured neutral-toned blazer or a jacket.
- Keep it minimalistic, inconspicuous jewellery and simple shoes work to complement the look.
- Don’t be too loud on the colour or print; keep it small and less attention-drawing. It works well to underplay the craziness on a business casual kind of day.
So here we are. Whoever said bold prints are groovy and meant for out of office dressing, think again. Add some life to your work wear and before you know Monday blues will be easier to beat and Fridays will seem even better.