Creativity is just connecting things
- Steve Jobs
Instagram Reels has taken the world of social media by storm. 2019 was an eventful year that saw many impactful changes, and the launch of Instagram Reels was probably the most significant in shaping social media.
Instagram Reels offered people a new way to create and discover short, entertaining videos on Instagram. You can record and edit 15-second multi-clip videos with the aid of audio, new creative tools, and effects. What fun!
Now, almost anyone has the chance to become a creator and reach wider audiences on the global stage.
However, although the concept format is similar to TikTok, there’s a long way to go for Reels to take up the coveted position of the go-to-platform for creators and brands. Before we launch into the top 10 Reels predictions for 2022, let’s take a look at some interesting Instagram Reels statistics.
- Reels was first launched in Brazil as Cenas in November 2019. This was because Brazil is one of the largest Instagram markets, and it was logical for Instagram to test its newest feature there. After the launch, Instagram users increased 4.34% in Brazil between October and November 2019.
- In June 2020, Reels expanded to France and Germany after an extensive update.
- On July 12, 2020, Instagram Reels rolled into India. Soon, Instagram downloads in India increased 11.4% and the average time spent on Instagram increased 3.5%.
- Fashion giant Louis Vuitton confirmed that they get an average of 7M views across Reels. Makeup brand Sephora France gets more than 453K views on an average on each Reel, showcasing makeup tutorials, product demos, and user-generated content.
- NBA franchises are getting 22% higher engagement with Instagram Reels as compared to Instagram posts or Instagram Stories.
Here are our top ten Instagram Reels predictions for 2022 for both creators and brands.
Reels: Great expectations in 2022!
- A rise in sophistication levels
- Monetisation options for creators
- New ad formats for Reels
- The introduction of shoppable Instagram Reels features
- Mainstream influencer marketing
- New and enhanced video editing tools
- Video collaboration options for creators to make video content more viral
- Improvement in aesthetics
1. A rise in sophistication levels
It’s no secret that the Instagram algorithm is prone to behaving mysteriously sometimes. As of now, there are four ways for people to find your Reels on the Instagram app.
- The new Reels tab in the home screen navigation
- Scrolling the Home feed
- The Explore Page
- The Reels tab on individual profiles
But as there are more places for people to discover your content, this makes Reels a big growth hack for 2021.
There is a need for more sophistication and transparency from Instagram with respect to the working of the Reels algorithm. Currently, what one sees on the Reels tab is probably influenced by someone s/he already follows, type of content, and location.
2. Monetisation options for creators
Unlike YouTube, Instagram did not share ad revenue with its creators. But this changed when 2019 saw Instagram generate mind-boggling ad revenue of 20 billion dollars, 5 billion dollars more than YouTube. In 2020, Instagram introduced monetisation options for its creators, like IGTV ads and Instagram Live Badges.
But this was before Instagram Reels rolled into the scene in August 2020. It is only natural that Instagram will expand its horizons by exploring monetisation possibilities with Reels. It is advisable that creators use this short time to engage more with their audience on Reels. Also, by understanding the pulse of the audience for content preference, they will have an engaged audience when the monetisation wagon finally rolls in.
3. New Ad formats for Reels
Instagram ads have proven to be highly effective, inducing 75 percent users to make a purchase after viewing an ad on the app. Apart from the IGTV ads on Instagram, there are traditional options like photo ads, Carousel ads, slideshow ads, video ads, and Instagram Stories ads. It is likely that Instagram will have a separate ad format for Reels. The main benefit of this move would be to reach new audiences as Instagram has its own dedicated Explore page for Reels.
4. The introduction of shoppable Instagram Reels features
Brands would benefit greatly with shoppable Instagram Reels videos. Brands will be able to showcase their products in action, with a clickable link that would add to cart. Shopping on Instagram looks like a certainty in 2022 and Reels would be the medium.
5. Mainstream influencer marketing
Many influencers and brands are already promoting their products through Reels. Instagram has introduced branded content tags on Reels. Hence, 2022 will probably witness brands forge strategic partnerships with influencers to create branded Instagram Reels.
6. New and enhanced video editing tools
This is one area where TikTok is way ahead and where Reels must strive for greater excellence. TikTok makes video editing features a breeze and it is not rocket science to master transitions, add voice effects, and add text. Why, you can also apply AR filters, and colour-correct your footage. Instagram must make life easier for all the Reels video editors.
7. Video collaboration options for creators to make video content more viral
Instagram Reels lacks the duet or stitch features of TikTok that serve as effective collaboration tools. These features enhance content virality on TikTok as brands can interact and engage creatively with community users, thus expanding reach. All that Instagram users can do presently is record their own footage or upload content from their camera roll.
8. Improvement in aesthetics
Aesthetics is an Instagram strong point, and chances are that they will be even more polished in 2022.